Why Backlinks are valuable for SEO
- Total View :883
- Posted By-Biswajit Swain
Backlinks are links from other websites to your site or blog. They’re also called inbound links. Getting quality links to your blog is important for you to rank.Backlinks are valuable for SEO because they represent a vote of confidence from one site to another. The more votes, or backlinks, a web page gets from other relevant pages, the more likely it is to rank in Google Search.
Link building is not as easy as it sounds, especially since Google has started keeping a close eye on the link building practices. Build links the wrong way, like spamming over the web, then you’ll get your site penalized, in turn, losing all your search rankings.
So always build quality backlinks for your blog using the legitimate link building techniques.
In 2012, Google introduced an update called Google Penguin in an effort to reward high-quality websites and get rid of poor-quality websites from the SERPs (Search Engine Result Page) that are engaged in manipulative link schemes and keyword stuffing.
Since then, even if you have thousands of backlinks, you will be penalized if you gained links from manipulative link schemes, such as buying links from low quality and irrelevant sites or through comment spam.
Before explain how to build quality backlinks, let’s know about what quality backlinks are and how you define them.
- Domain Authority is the only metric that you need to worry about for SEO. The higher your domain authority is, the better your chances for being ranked higher on search results. Similarly, when building backlinks, make sure you get them from a high authority website.Every SEO software uses different names to display the authority of a domain. For example, Ahrefs uses Domain Rating (DR) and Moz uses Domain Authoirty (DA).Google prefers links from high Domain Rating (DR) website sources.
- You should always try to get links from an anchor text that has your keyword. Google’s Penguin update cracks down on sites that have a lot of backlinks with exact match anchor text. It’s in your best interest to use related keyword phrases in your anchor text rather than focusing solely on exact match anchor text.
- Getting links from high authority sites with a relevant anchor isn’t enough. You also need to ensure that the links are coming in from websites closely related to your niche.
- There are 2 types of backlinks: do-follow and no-follow. Every backlink is do-follow unless a rel=”nofollow” attribute is added to the link. Dofollow backlinks allow Google to follow them and reach your website. That way these links allow to pass on the SEO juice from the source site to the hyperlinked site. Google and other search engines don’t count the backlinks that have the no-follow tag. So it’s better to try and get links that are do-follow.
- It’s better to get links from 100 different sites than getting 1,000 links from the same site because the total number of unique referring domains also correlates with high rankings.
The best way to capture the attention of other publishers and build high-quality backlinks is by publishing comprehensive, in-depth resources on your blog.That said, you won’t get links just by publishing good content. You’ll need to have a marketing strategy before and after publishing the content.As far as content goes, there are a few types of content that act as Link Magnets, which people love linking to them.
Below few points are helps to improve your content
- If you have done a study on your industry which hasn’t been done before, then there is a high chance that people will link to you whenever they cite your data.
- Writing in-depth guides, is a great way to attract tons of backlinks. You need to pack it up with relevant and useful information, so it becomes the go-to resource for anyone who is looking to read up on the topic.
- Visual posts like infographics, images, videos etc are best practice to include in your content. The reason is that the data presented in visual form is easy to understand.
Some of Link Building Strategies
Since August 2018, Google has gone crazy with their updates. They have been punishing and penalizing websites for bad link building practices. Some of link building strategies that give great results
Resource Pages Link Building - Resource pages usually add links to various websites on the internet that are related to their topic. These pages are there for the sole purpose of linking to valuable resources, which makes them a prime target for our link building campaign.
Broken Link building -- Broken links are links on a web page that are no longer working. This could be due to a number of reasons. Big websites sometimes forget to check for 404 links, this can be an advantage for those who are doing broken link building. The process is simple, you identify broken links on a page as a gesture of goodwill and then you pitch in your own related content.
Link Roundups -- There are websites that link out to outstanding content every week or month. If you have such content pieces that are worth getting a link from the roundups, you can reach out to them.
Link reclamation-- It’s the process of reaching out to websites that have mentioned your site without linking to it. The popular way is to use tools like Ahrefs, BuzzSumo, and Mention.com. These tools will show you whenever you get mentioned without a link.
Get Backlinks through Image Search-- If you find sites that are using your visual content without attribution, you should reach out to them and ask them to link back to you. Most of them will comply because of the Digital Media Copyright Act (DMCA).
Guest Post Opportunities-- When you are hunting for backlinks, you come across many articles by your competitor on different high DR Websites. This presents a huge opportunity, as you can pitch all these sites that agreed to feature your competitor as an author.
Finding Backlink Opportunities with Link Intersect Tool- Ahrefs introduced the Link Intersect tool a while back. It’s pretty neat and it gives you a list of websites that are linking to your competitors.If someone is linking to your competitors, then they would likely agree to link to you, if you have better content.